Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wish upon a star




Finally! The holidays are over and now we have moved on to the New Year and all the resolutions people are making. Yippee!

I don't make resolutions.  I think they're stupid and a waste of time.  But I am an underachiever so what do you expect from me? 

Well this year I have decided to try to put some order into my life and I will be making a list of "desires". Not "goals".  Not "wants".  "Desires".

Interesting note.  Do you know the origin of the words "goal" and "want"?

Goal - 1275–1325; Middle English gol boundary, limit; compare Old English gǣlan to hinder, impede

Want - 1150–1200; Middle English wante < Old Norse vanta to lack

No wonder people have a hard time achieving what they are looking for.  The words are all wrong. 

Example:

"A goal for 2012 is that I want to make more money."

Translation:

"I want to be impeded as I lack more money."


Interesting what words really mean isn't it.  You know what "desire" originally meant?

Desire - early 13c., from O.Fr. desirer, from L. desiderare "long for, wish for," original sense perhaps "await what the stars will bring," from the phrase de sidere "from the stars," from sidus (gen. sideris) "heavenly body, star, constellation" (but see consider). Noun sense of

Here's wishing that you receive all your hearts desires for the coming years.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...