Tuesday, October 11, 2011

If you could meet a famous dead person who would it be?

I have heard that question a million times (maybe not that exact question, it was probably re-phrased to be a bit more PC so not to offend dead folks).  Every big interviewer usually asks that question.  The majority of people asked will say the same thing; Jesus, Abraham Lincoln, even Hitler.  Those are all interesting choices but they aren’t who I would select.

My choice would be George Washington…..Carver (HA! You thought I was going to say George Washington didn't you?!)


I first learned about George Washington Carver in the 5th grade. 

“Do you know who invented peanut butter?” my teacher asked in class.

No one knew, but as 5th graders who had peanut butter oozing from every pore, we were all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to find out who this god-like person was.

“George Washington Carver” she said. 
 
Ever since that moment I was stuck on him like peanut butter on bread.

I eat peanut butter every day.  EVERYDAY.  I love it.  I do limit myself on how much but still...I will have it on my toast in the morning or perhaps it’s a PB&J sandwich for lunch or even some spread on crackers for a snack.  It’s a main stable in my diet and I am not ashamed to say it. When Hurricane Ike hit and I had to evacuate my home...I packed the peanut butter first.

I know George Washington Carver didn’t really invent peanut butter, I think the Aztecs have been  credited with that, but if it weren’t for Mr. Carver’s efforts I don’t think peanut butter would have made such a positive impact in America.  It was his efforts in the south that influenced farmers to rotate their crops from cotton to another source of income that not only fed the farmers themselves but America as well. 

Mr. Carver did invent uses for peanuts; like shaving cream and peanut oil.  He didn’t just create a food source but a way of life.  Have you ever fried your Thanksgiving turkey in peanut oil? Yum!  What about shaving your legs to feel as smooth as a baby’s bottom?

All this is because of him.

Mr. Carver was a scientist, agricultural chemist, an inventor and instructor.  He was more than just about peanut butter, he was an exceptionally gifted man. But to me, he helped to create the mass production of a food deemed to be for the gods and I would love to have dinner with him just so I could thank him.    

I would serve Peanut Butter and Banana spread on fresh sourdough bread with  a glass of ice cold milk. For dessert, freshly baked peanut butter cookies. Now that’s good eatin’.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...