Friday, October 7, 2011

Color me pretty. From slob to styling one step at a time



I think every Friday I will share what I have learned about how not to be a slob.  That way you have the weekend to do whatever it is that needs to be done, like throw out the ugly stuff and organize anything that may be left. 

I have been doing lots and lots of research.  There is a prolific amount of info for stylishly challenged folks like me.  That's good because I don’t want to end up on the pages of www.peopleofwalmart.com. 

I have tried to compile this info into some sort of logical order. At least I hope I did.  I was a project manager after all; I should be able to map this process out.  I also am trying to keep this style refurbishment economical as possible.  I am on a very limited budget so I am going to suggest alternatives to paying the big bucks to look pretty.

 All righty then, let’s get going….

 Step One:  Know what colors look good on you.

Color is the foundation of your wardrobe, even your make-up.  If the color looks good on you, you radiate a positive look to the world.  Literally.  Colors can brighten your skin; even highlight the color of your eyes.   Color is important. Wearing a crappy colored designer dress will only make you look crappy. 
 
I thought everyone knew instinctively what colors looked good on them and would pick those choices out automatically but apparently not.  It seems I have picked some real color stinkers just because it was “in style”.  So never ever go by what’s in style, but by the color.
 
If you don’t know what colors look good on you, there are quite a few free color analysis sites on the web you can try. Here’s a couple: 



There are also books on the subject.   Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson is an oldie but goodie. It goes into a lot more detail, not just about colors in your closet but what color make-up you should use.  You can check it out at the Library.  If you don’t know what or where the library is try a used book store or www.amazon.com.

I am what they call a warm autumn.  Basically, fall color hues look best on me because of my skin tone and hair and eye color. 

http://www.shopmyclosetboutique.com/color_guide.html


Now that I am armed with the correct color swatches I am going to weed out my clothes based on that.  In other words, I am going to become a clothes racist and kick out all the colors that don’t belong in my spectrum! Don’t send hate mail, it’s only clothes and they will be placed in a loving home via a charity store. Keep in mind, I don't have to throw out everything.  Maybe there is something I could dye to make it fit into the color spectrum.  Still, pull it out of the closet and pile it somewhere out of the way until then. 

While I am at it, I will also go through my make- up and throw out my lime green eye shadow.  I kid!  (as far as you know). 

If I need to replace any make-up I can get it cheaply at ….
Wal-Mart! But this time I will look soooo much better than the last time I walked through those doors.


Knowing what colors you should incorporate into your wardrobe and on your face is the foundation to a changing your style. 

 Well, that’s Step One.  Next week for Step Two we go into the closet!   


1 comment:

Westopher said...

I like this idea! We could all use a little more beauty in our lives.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...